Back and neck pain are extremely common conditions seen by physiotherapists today. Approximately 80% of people will experience back pain at some stage in their life.
What are some of the causes of back and neck pain?
This kind of pain can originate from many different structures in the body:
- standing, sitting or bending down for long periods
- lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling loads that are too heavy
- performing daily tasks in an incorrect manner
- having a trip or a fall
- being stressed or anxious
- poor posture
There may be a more serious underlying cause of the pain which can be identified by a physiotherapist who can then assist you with an appropriate referral.
What kind of treatment can you expect?
Treatment of back and neck pain will depend on the assessment findings and are different for each individual. Common treatment modalities after a diagnosis and evaluation include:
- posture assessment and correction
- Soft tissue massage and release
- Joint mobilisations and manipulations
- Exercises for strengthening and stretching of muscles
- Ergonomic assessment and adjustment
- Advice regarding everyday activities
- Heat therapy